Wednesday 6 August 2014

Scriptwriting: Day One

Today, I met with Joe Keeley, who is an A level drama student so I thought he would know a few things about scriptwriting he could teach me. We've been talking for about a week now about the project and he has become very enthusiastic about the project. I have decided to bring him on as a writer for the project as his experience with scripts will be invaluable to the film. He has been tasked with co-writing several scripts in the past and is an avid horror film viewer.

We got together today to talk in more detail about the film and the ideas that I had. I showed him an online storyboard I created and he grasped what I was going for very quickly. Joe was very focused on characters so we discussed their names and personalities (a part of writing I have no idea about) and came up with the names Trevor, Ray, Tracy, Alice and Ali. The names weren't something I was worried about but now we have them, we can reference specific entry and death scenes.

Then Joe began working on the dialogue and subsequent personalities, and I made sure the script was keeping to it's original idea. Joe was able to write dialogue almost effortlessly and build characters and by the end of the writing process, I had some very strong feelings about the characters, which is very assuring that the writing is solid. I'm extremely pleased with the decision to work with Joe as he was not afraid to come up with his own ideas and pitch them to me, but not too confident to not run them past me. We've been able to bounce off of each others ideas to come up with some twists that I'm extremely happy with (such as the change in main protagonist towards the end).

This is the first draft of the script, I am happy with the scenes but feel the film may be too long, but I have no way of timing how long the footage will last, so it could be too short or just right. We intend on meeting again soon to refine it.



No comments:

Post a Comment